Congratulations to all the players selected to represent the Sunshine Coast at the Qld Junior Rugby Union State Championships in Toowoomba from Sunday 30 September until Tuesday 2 October.
Junior Stingray Development Coordinator, Ian Brown, said, “Competition for places was very strong and the quality of the squads selected is very high. We encourage players that have missed selection to continue to strive to improve their rugby with the assistance of their club and school coaches. Generally from one year to the next there is a 20% to 25% turnover in the players selected in each team, so there is between a 1 in 4 change or 1 in 5 chance of those players that missed selection, in gaining selection next year. The Jnr Stingray Coaches are also available to provide feedback if necessary.”
The opportunity to compete at the next level helps players develop their skills by being challenged in a tournament format against strong opposition and to train at a higher intensity. There will also be QJRU Queensland teams selected in the Under 15 and Under 17 age groups to compete against NSW on the weekend of 6th & 7th October, to be hosted by the Caloundra Rugby Union.
The Jnr Stingrays teams for 2012 are as follows:
Training for these teams commence as follows:
- Under 13s: Sunday 22 July from 9am until 11am at Stockland #6
- Under 14s: Sunday 22 July from 1pm to 5pm at Cotton Tree Oval, Cotton Tree
- Under 15s: Tuesday 4 September, after the completion of the U15 Schoolboy Championships and the SCRU Junior Grand Finals
- Under 16s: Sunday 22 July from 3pm until 7pm at Stockland #7
- Under 17s: Tuesday 24 July from 6pm until 7:30pm at Stockland #7 (note: training with the Stingray Premier Colts)
Trial Dates for the Jnr Stingray Teams are:
- Sunday 29 July: U16s & U17s v Toin High (Japan) at Caloundra
- Sunday 19 August : All teams v Gold Coast Breakers at Stockland Park
- Sunday 16 September: All teams v Brisbane Red & Brisbane Blue at Albany Creek